Andrew has worn a number of different brands of Chinese prefolds. My favorite Chinese prefolds are the diapers that we chose to sell here. These prefolds are the most absorbent and most durable diapers that I could find. They quilt up nicely when washed several times on hot, the stitching doesn't fray, they dried completely with one cycle in the dryer and my son can go two to three hours between diaper changes without soaking the diaper.
I've tried them all -- European prefolds, ComPly prefolds, Babies Textile prefolds, gauze prefolds, cheap Walmart prefolds, regular Gerber prefolds and Gerber DSQ prefolds. Absolutely none of them could stand up to these diaper service quality Chinese prefolds. Our prefolds are soft, durable, absorbent, and just trim enough. The workmanship is quality and the manufacturer stands behind the diapers.
These diapers are diaper service quality (DSQ). If you are looking for a simple workhorse diapering solution, these are your diapers!
You will need a fastener or a good diaper cover for these diapers. Prefolds can be fastened with pins or with a Snappi. But you don't have to use either! Check out our selection of diaper covers for a great fastener-free solution!
If you will be diapering a newborn, consider using ProRaps Classics in the newborn size. That diaper cover works well over the infant or preemie sized prefold and it has an umbilical scoop in the front -- an important feature that helps prevent umbilical infections. After your baby's umbilical cord stump falls off, we recommend Econobum and Flip diaper covers. Econobum and Flip diaper covers are made by Cotton Babies and are covered by our 30 day money back guarantee as well as our one year warranty.
If you are looking for burp cloths, you need the REGULAR 4x6x4 ply Chinese prefold cloth diapers with WHITE stitching. The regular sized prefold is also perfect for babies who are too small for premium sized prefolds but need more absorbency than the infant prefolds offer.
Chinese Prefold sizes available:
- Preemie Bleached or Unbleached
- Infant Bleached 4x6x4 (newborn to 15 lbs).
- Premium Bleached 4x8x4 (15-30 lbs). Measures 14.5" x18.5" before washing
- Regular Bleached or Unbleached 4x6x4 (15-30 lbs). Measures 14.5" x 21" before washing
- Toddler Bleached 4x8x4. Measures 16.5" x 21.5" before washing
Wondering if you should go with Indian prefolds or Chinese prefolds?
Indian prefolds benefits:
- Softer cotton - these are probably made of gauze cotton
- Unbleached diapers wash up quicker (3 washes)
- More absorbent
- Indian prefolds drawbacks: May wear out faster than the Chinese prefolds. Lighter weight thread is used when sewing the ends of the diapers so the thread may wear out faster than the fabric does.
Chinese prefolds benefits:
- Heavier duty stitching - these are probably made of twill
- Due to being made of a heavier-weight fabric and stitched with a thicker thread, these prefolds will probably stay nice longer than the Indian prefolds.
- Chinese prefolds drawbacks: May pill up more than the Indian prefolds. These diapers are still soft but they are definitely rougher than the Indian prefolds (when washed and dried in the same load) It takes 7-10 hot wash cycles to make an unbleached Chinese prefold usable and absorbent.