A must-have item to have on hand after labor and child birth, this bath soothes sore perineal muscles, reduces swelling, slows bleeding, and heals tears. It also helps to shrink hemorrhoids.
- Witch Hazel - Achillea millefolium
- Witch hazel is a shrub or small tree growing in the rich soils of the eastern part of the United States. The star shaped leaves become brilliant colors in the fall while the round fruits, which have projections, shoot their seeds several feet as they ripen. Witch hazel leaves and bark contain astringent tannins which stop internal and external bleeding. Both the bark and leaves are used to treat hemorrhoids, varicose veins, swelling and bruises, and sore nipples. Internally it stops diarrhea, vaginal discharge and excess menses. Witch hazel is an ingredient found in eye drops and many skin ointments.
- Yarrow - Hamamelis virginiana
- Yarrow is an aromatic herb that grows in meadows. It has alternate, wooly gray-green fern-like leaves, and its tiny, white flowers each have 4-6 ray petals that grow in flat-topped clusters. Put the leaves or flowers on wounds or a bloody nose to quickly stop the bleeding. Use a wash on rashes, runny sores, boils, poison ivy, chapped or cracked skin, and hemorrhoids. Drink to relieve indigestion and gas. Yarrow promotes sweating when taken to reduce a fever. It is also said that the smell repels mosquitoes.
- Uva Ursi - Arctostaphylos uva-ursi
- Uva Ursi, also known as "kinnickinnick," is a low creeping plant with trailing stems that form a mat in dry, conifer forests. It has small, leathery, evergreen leaves, and its pink, urn-shaped flowers produce red berries. These berries are mealy and don't have much taste, but can be made into jelly, sauce, or a drink with honey. The astringent leaves reduce pain and bleeding on a cut. Make a wash for heat rash and hives. In a sitz bath after birth, uva ursi reduces swelling, hemorrhoids, and slows bleeding. It is one of the best herbs for clearing up urinary tract infections, but should only be used short term as it is irritating to the mucus membranes of the uterine lining and bladder
- Sea Salt
95% Certified Organic by Oregon Tilth
Available in a 6 oz. tub.