Published on August 24th, 2014 | by Brittney French0
Cloth 101: How to Prep Cloth Diapers
With the release of our newest Genius Series prints, Spence and Marie, many people will be welcoming a new cloth diaper into their home very soon. And if you're among those expecting a new cloth diaper arrival, here's everything you need to know to get it prepped and ready to wear!
- Sort your diapers into like colors, just like you would any other laundry. For brighter, bolder colors like Hummingbird, Sassy, Dazzle, Moonbeam, Grasshopper, Albert, Piccadilly Circus, Top Hat, Jules, Carroll, and now, Spence and Marie, we recommend washing these diapers with 'like' colors for the first six washes to avoid any transfer of dye to other lighter colors. These do not have to be six consecutive washes before your first use.
- Attach the laundry tabs on hook & loop diapers.
- Once you have your diapers sorted, we recommend washing once with a cloth diaper safe detergent. Be sure to do a hot wash followed by a cold rinse. *Hot washes should be no higher than 140°F/60°C.
- Line dry covers.
- Tumble dry bumGenius and Flip inserts on a low or medium heat setting.
- Stuff inserts into pocket style diapers like bumGenius 4.0.
For cloth diapers with natural fibers like bumGenius Elementals, Flip Day and Night Time Inserts,Econobum prefolds, and Hemp Babies, you will need to wash in hot water 3-5 times, drying between each wash to remove all the natural oils found in cotton fabric. By removing these oils, you are making the cotton more absorbent.
If you have a question about prepping or washing your cloth diapers, give us a call at 1-888-322-2243 so we can help.