Published on November 3rd, 2013 | by Brittney French0
Cloth 101: Cloth Diapering at Night
Using cloth diapers at night should be just as easy as using cloth diapers during the day, right?
The short answer is yes. But sometimes, cloth diapering at night takes a bit more work. Whether it's due to your little one's sleep position, the amount of time your baby rests, or if you have a heavy wetter, you may experience more cloth diaper leaks at night than you would during the day.
Try some of these tips to help you cloth diaper at night and stay leak-free!
1. Double up. With bumGenius 4.0, or other similar pocket styles, you can stuff additional inserts into the diaper to increase the absorbency. Try using both the one-size insert and the newborn/diaper doubler at once. This may help prevent leaks, but remember, as your little one eats, drinks, and sleeps more, this may not be enough absorbency.
2. Use Hemp. Hemp is a natural fiber that is very absorbent, without adding a lot of bulk. It is recommended for heavy wetters. Like other natural fibers, hemp takes a bit longer to absorb than microfiber, so when adding one of these inserts to your bumGenius 4.0, Freetime, or Flip diapers, place it underneath the stay-dry and microfiber layers. This also helps to wick moisture away from your little one's skin, helping prevent rashes.
- Hemp Babies Little Weeds are intended for one-size cloth diapers on a small rise setting — whether it's a pocket style or an all-in-one. Little Weeds feature two layers of hemp to ensure that your diapers wash clean easily and dry quickly. This small insert is specifically designed to fold in half for four layers of absorbency and less bulk, making it perfect for smaller cloth diapers.
- Hemp Babies Bigger Weeds are similar to Little Weeds, but specifically designed to be used as an insert in a diaper on medium or large rise setting. Hemp Babies Bigger Weeds fold in thirds for six layers of hemp absorbency.
- Hemp Babies Diaper Doublers are a preshaped insert that is available in two sizes – small or large. Since these are not folded, Diaper Doublers are a trimmer choice than the other Hemp Babies inserts. The size and shape of the Hemp Babies Diaper Doublers makes for ideal use with a prefold, all-in-two, or hybrid style of diaper.
- BabyKicks Hemparoo Joey-Bunz are inserts that were originally designed for use with FuzziBunz, but work great with all other pocket diapers, like bumGenius. They are fashioned to be trim, absorbent, and easy to use since no folding is required. Available in three sizes (small, medium, and large), they give you a customized fit for your little one, no matter the size of diaper you are using.
- BabyKicks Hemparoo Fleece Prefolds feature two layers of hemp and cotton fleece, with a third layer in the center. These prefolds are up to any task, from being pinned, folded in thirds in a snug fitting wrap, or as a pocket diaper insert.
3. Adjust the fit of your diapers. Depending on where your diaper is leaking, you may need to troubleshoot the fit, which you can read more about here.
4. Strip your diapers. No matter how much absorbency you add to your diapers, you could still experience leaks. If this is happening after doubling up on inserts, adding hemp, or checking the fit of your diapers, don't worry. The leaks are most likely caused by a repelling issue and you will need to strip your diapers. Find instructions here.
5. Use cotton. Cotton is another option for adding absorbency. Cotton prefolds can be used inside a cover like Econobum or Flip, or even inside your favorite pocket diaper. Try Chinese, Indian, Econobum, or Flip Day or Night Time inserts.
6. Try Diapers with Natural Fibers. Diapers with natural fibers like bumGenius Elemental are more absorbent than those with synthetic fibers. To give your overnight cloth diaper routine a kickstart, use a diaper with natural fibers then add additional absorbency if needed.
7. Call us. Give us a call at 1-888-332-2243 if you are still having trouble nailing down your nighttime cloth diaper routine, we can help you find a solution!