Published on September 29th, 2013 | by Brittney French0
Cloth 101: Prepping Your Cloth Diapers
You will need to wash your diapers a bit differently than you would with other laundry — from start to finish. Prepping, wet towel tricks and regular washes with hot and cold cycles become part of your cloth diaper laundry routine.
- Sort your diapers into like colors, just like you would any other laundry. Darker, bolder colors should be washed separately from lighter, pastel colors for the first few washes to avoid color transfer.
- Attach the laundry tabs on hook & loop diapers.
- Once you have your diapers sorted, we recommend washing once in a cloth diaper safe detergent using a hot wash/cold rinse cycle on your machine.
- Line dry covers.
- Tumble dry bumGenius and Flip inserts on a low or medium heat setting.
- Stuff inserts into pocket style diapers like bumGenius 4.0.
For cloth diapers with natural fibers like bumGenius Elementals, Flip Day and Night Time Inserts, and Econobum, Chinese and Indian Prefolds, you will need to wash in hot water 3-5 times, drying between each wash to remove all the natural oils found in cotton fabric. By removing these oils, you are making the cotton more absorbent.