Published on August 25th, 2013 | by Brittney French4
Cloth 101: Laundry Basics
Often, I tend to just throw everything into the wash machine, hit the "start" button and see what happens. I don't even measure the amount of laundry detergent I use. I just eyeball it.
After I started using cloth diapers, I changed the way I did laundry. I took the time to separate lights and darks and even made sure to use a laundry detergent that's safe for clothes AND cloth diapers.
It wasn't easy breaking my old habits, but I am thankful that I did. My cloth diapers are in pristine condition and so is my other laundry, which allows me to get more bang for the bucks I invested in my wardrobe and stash.
Before you go and do a load of cloth diaper laundry, read the tips below. They will help, trust me.
- ALWAYS prewash dark color diapers six times before washing with any other products. This means that Clementine, Moonbeam, Ribbit, Zinnia, Dazzle, Sassy and Albert colors will need to be washed individually. After this, you can wash these diapers with your other cloth diaper laundry. You can wash all dark color diapers together — at the same time.
- Use a laundry detergent that's formulated for cloth diapers. This will help preserve the longevity of your cloth diapers and prevent detergent build up or leaks.
- Prep natural fiber diapers by washing five to seven times. YOU MUST DO THIS. Seriously. It allows these products to become more absorbent.
- Air dry covers, tumble dry inserts.
- Add 1/4 cup of regular liquid chlorine bleach to your wash load each month to help sanitize your diapers. You can also sun your diapers to achieve the same results.
- Secure your laundry tabs on diapers with hook and loop closures!
- A full load of cloth diaper laundry contains 12-15 cloth diapers. You will get the best results by washing this many diapers together.
- Be sure to do a cold and a hot rinse, especially if you're dealing with odor or ammonia.
For any question about your cloth diaper laundry routine, give us a call at 1-888-332-2243.