Diaper rash is pretty easy to treat, according to most pediatricians.
All you need is an over-the-counter or prescription topical cream and apply it to your baby's bum for a few days to make that redness go away. Easy, right?
Your pediatrician may not consider the fact that you use cloth diapers and they told you just to apply the cream directly to your little one's bottom, but hold out! We have a few suggestions to keep in mind when using a diaper cream, lotion, or oil to treat a rash.
Always use a fabric barrier to protect your cloth diapers. Creams and lotion are designed to coat your baby's bottom and to repel moisture and will cling to the inner fabric of your cloth diapers the same way it clings to your baby's bottom. The same ingredients that repel moisture to help baby's bottom to heal will repel moisture from the fabric of your cloth diapers, which can lead to leaking.
- Use a bumGenius Stay Dry Liner next to baby's bottom after applying the cream. Be sure to wash the liners separately from your cloth diaper laundry to avoid contamination.
- No local cloth diaper store or need a middle of the night solution? Try cutting up an old cotton flannel shirt or T-shirt to use as a liner in your cloth diaper.
- Don't want to worry about the hassle of separate laundry? Keep a Flip diaper cover and pack of Flip disposable inserts in your stash for a convenient diaper cream solution that won't add extra work to your laundry routine.
- If your pediatrician recommends using a diaper cream and you are looking for a product with natural ingredients, we suggest Angel Baby Bottom Balm, New Mama Bottom Spray, or Earth Mama Bottom Balm. However, even with these products, you do still need a fabric barrier.
- Diaper creams and lotions can be removed from your cloth diapers or inserts. Just scrub the affected area. It may take a few tries for the cream to be completely removed.
Remember, if your baby has recurring diaper rash, you should consult your pediatrician for further assistance.
Rash creams containing fish oils will make cloth diapers smell like fish and should be avoided.