BGFlannelWipes400x4001

Published on March 14th, 2011 | by Heather Vaughn

Cloth 201: Cloth Baby Wipes

As you progress along your cloth diapering journey, you may find yourself looking for other ways to 'green' your home. A next logical step for many families is to use cloth baby wipes.

The first question many customers ask is "What kind of cloth wipes should I use?" Just like cloth diapers, there are many different kinds and styles of cloth wipes, so you should be able to find a cloth wipe that works best for you and your little one.

At Cotton Babies, we carry a variety of cloth wipes. bumGenius cloth wipes are 100% unbleached cotton flannel. Kissaluvs wipes are also unbleached, but have a 'loopy' terry side to handle messes. If you prefer organic fibers, Kissluvs Organic wipes may be for you. Want to add a little color to your diaper change? Try Thirsties Fab wipes or Kissaluvs Premium Designer wipes.
The next thing to consider is how you will store your wipes. You can store your wipes dry and wet them at each change or you can store them wet.

Wet wipes should not be stored longer than 2 days. That means you should use a wet wipe within 48 hours of when you moisten it to prevent mold. For a quick and easy wipe solution, mix a squirt or two of Kissaluvs Diaper Lotion Potion concentrate with distilled water. We recommend using the Prince Lionheart wipe warmer to keep your cloth wipes moist and ready to go.

If you prefer a dry method, you can stack your dry cloth wipes and keep bumGenius Bottom Cleaner or Kissaluvs Diaper Lotion potion right beside your changing area. These sprays can be sprayed directly on a cloth wipe and are even safe enough to spray right onto baby's bottom if you choose. After using, just toss your cloth wipes right into your pail or wet bag.

While cloth wipes can be washed with your cloth diapers, be cautious when washing wipes with cloth diapers that have hook and loop closures. The natural fibers of the cloth wipes are more likely to stick in the closure tabs of these diapers.

If you use a homemade cloth wipe solution that contains oils, we do not recommend washing your wipes with the cloth diapers. The oils from the solution may clog the fibers of your cloth diapers, which can lead to leaking.

If you have further questions about using cloth wipes, give us a call at 1-888-332-2243 and we'd be glad to assist you.

Tags: , , , ,

About the Author

Heather is mom to four, born within 40 months (single, twins, single). She writes transparently about her chaotic household to encourage others through the twists and turns of parenting.

15 Responses to Cloth 201: Cloth Baby Wipes

1. Sarah F. says:

One pack of BG flannel and two packs of Charlie Banana organic cotton wipes(single layer–not the thick fleece ones) do the trick for us with our newborn. Somehow I think the CB are softer than the BG flannel, but it’s nice to have the added texture if you need to pick up more. I’ve been using with a homemade wipe solution but the oil is causing repelling in my diapers. I’m not willing to do two loads of poopy wash at this point so I’m going to try just water and baby wash and see how that goes! Originally we just used water but it chafed baby’s bum…

2. Liz says:

Cloth wipes are my favorite part of cloth diapering, as they are so much more effective than disposable wipes! I use some BG flannel wipes and some cheap baby washclothes – to be honest, I like the washcloths better. I keep them (folded so that they pop up one after another) in a warmer with water and a couple drops of tea tree oil. I don’t even dry them, I just fold them while I’m emptying the washer and put them right back into the warmer wet (I hang my diapers and inserts to dry, so I have to sort through them wet anyway).

3. Anonymous says:

I use a roll of TP next to the changing table for the real messies. That just gets dumped in the toilet with the poo. Then I use a spray bottle of plain water that I keep in the wipes warmer to spray off baby’s bum with warm water. I use a water proof pad under the bum and cut up cotton t-shirt pieces for my wipes.
    Melanie N.

4. Anonymous says:

I am a cheapskate… I use old rags cut into small pieces for wipes and diaper liners. I use water in a peri bottle to wet them. If a wipe is too messy, I just throw them out. Also I throw out the liner if it gets pooped on and wash it if is only wet. These are free since I use rags ready for the trash.

5. I love our bunGenius wipes. They are holding up alot better than I expected. I have some homemade wipes also but they are not as thick or nice.

6. Anonymous says:

We started cloth wipes in November! And we haven’t used disposable since! I love not having a disposable wipe go through the wash and get tangled in velcro! We keep them stacked in the Huggies wipes containers, one on the kitchen counter for daytime/hand/nose messes, and that has been great, too. We have done the wipes warmer, which is nice… but… its a lot more prep work than having a spray bottle of the California babies Diaper Spray and a dry wipe! We also sometimes just use water for very MESSY changes. I think for our newborn, we’ll do warm wipes for a while, but mainly just in the winter times. I’ve tried the little cloth diaper wipes cubes that you melt in water, and they are very nice, but not necessary!

7. Laura S. says:

I have a bunch of cloth wipes – baby washcloths and random fabric scraps, including some old boxer shorts of hubby’s that I just ripped into squares when the elastic got too stretched out. I keep two empty wipes tubs in the laundry – one I throw the clean wipes in after they dry, in the other I add a little water, a squirt of soap, a few drops of essential oil (lavender and tea tree) and a few drops of grapefruit seed extract, then add enough wipes in to last a couple of days. I then put those wet wipes in the wipe warmer on the changing table. I also keep some disposable wipes above the table, too, as I hate to run out of wipes during a bad diaper change!

8. KuuKuu says:

We just use baby wash cloths (no particular brand). Once you do it for a few days you know about how many you need. I fold mine in half and put them in a wipe box. I make a cup of hot water with some baby wash (I agree you probably dont need it, but it smells pretty). pour it over them inside the box. And viola! I just throw them in with the dirty diapers. easy. cheap. better than finding washed and dried disposable wipes in the dryer.

9. I made homemade wipes. No offense to the companies selling them, but they’re either really fancy (too nice to wipe poo) or really cheaply made (but not a matching cheap price). So I got into my stash of flannel scraps from making pj pants and made a ton! I went really simple, cutting rounded squares, zig zag stitching the edges. I only made them one layer (I know a lot of people do two), but they work just fine. I keep a bottle of water and the BG spray at the changing table. Now… when things are really gross we grab a disposable wipe (happens maybe once a day) but for the rest we rock a cloth one. We also use them as baby kleenex, they wipe up spills, and they’re small enough to tuck into her outfit over a nice dose of baby vicks to keep her outfit clean! :)

10. Jennie says:

We use BG and homemade flannel wipes. Our changing table is in the bathroom so I just have a small basket of wipes on the changing table and I just wet then with warm water from the sink as needed.

11. Amanda says:

Lori, we have 2 dozen. I don’t rinse them, just treat them like the diaper, if there’s anything thick or solid (tmi,I know), it gets knocked/scooped off. Then thrown in the pail.

12. Amanda says:

Our tiny tush terry wipes are great! And I love my kissaluvs diaper lotion potion

13. Lori says:

How many wipes should you have? And do you need to rinse them prior to washing once you start feeding new foods after 6 months?

14. Adrian says:

I have not tried BG, but I have thirsties, kissaluvs, FB, and some home made ones.

We just wet with water and a drop of baby soap at home, and use sprays when we are out.

15. Heidi says:

We use BumGenius bamboo wipes and we love them. They stay so soft even when line-dried. Folded in half, they fit perfectly in a disposable wipes tub (for the changing table) and travel wipes case (for the diaper bag). We don’t use any wipe solution; just plain water. We use the little squirt bottles they gave me at the hospital (“peri-bottle”) to squirt the wipes before using. Think about it – when we wipe ourselves, we don’t use any special solution. Why should babies need it? They don’t! Plain water works great and is so cheap and easy!

Back to Top ↑